[ View Forums | Start New Thread | Search ]     [ Join | Login ]     en
Graffiti: crimwatch uk ( [Expand] [RevSort] )
Post New Message in Thread   [Lock  Move  Delete  Archive]
  20 Nov 03 08:13 PM | Edit Reply | crimwatch uk
zeal
216 Posts
brum/notts
Ignore User
tonight bbc1 got summin on it about graffiti....the bloke asked just..... do you recognise any of these signatures?! LMAO i found it funny......its on later anyway for anyone thats intrested to hear about the latest shit that tv ppl have to say about graffiti
  20 Nov 03 08:23 PM | Edit Reply | crimwatch uk
duncan
731 Posts
Glasgow
Ignore User
"Also, on Crimewatch this month, a new Home Office initiative to catch graffiti vandals. Can you identify the graffiti 'tags' and help police find just some of the people who cause 1.5 billion pounds worth of damage to public property every year?"

http://tinyurl.com/vvp0[Edited by duncan on 20 Nov 03 08:30 PM]
  20 Nov 03 09:01 PM | Edit Reply | crimeewatch
undercover
333 Posts
edinburgh
Ignore User
graf writers put on the same show as a guy who turns up at his mates house and starts shooting his family-what a fuckin joke.
  20 Nov 03 10:45 PM | Edit Reply | kool
Bert
215 Posts
ATM TNC
Ignore User
that was ok, didnt see much for long tho, did any1 see the front of the glasweigen ? about graff and this site??
i will post the article later..
  21 Nov 03 06:54 PM | Edit Reply | RE: kool
duncan
731 Posts
Glasgow
Ignore User
Posted by Koin:that was ok, didnt see much for long tho, did any1 see the front of the glasweigen ? about graff and this site??
i will post the article later..

I saw the Evening Times article on their website, was it in the Glaswegian too? Nobody contacted me for comment (not that they'd have got one anyway).
http://ww1.eveningtimes.co.uk/hi/news/5021237.html

They've stolen a photo from Camone's site, which is a bit cheeky, as they've not given appropriate credit for it's use.
  21 Nov 03 07:08 PM | Edit Reply | RE: kool
duncan
731 Posts
Glasgow
Ignore User
actually, I wonder if this article was connected to this request for an interview I got from the Daily Record recently? The Record and the Glaswegian are published by the same company. I assume the Evening Times article was the SMG's version of this 'story'.

http://www.duncancumming.co.uk/forum/message.cfm?MID=4099

If anyone can get me copies of the Glaswegian, Evening Times or any other newspaper that mentions my site, that would be cool.
  21 Nov 03 11:19 PM | Edit Reply | here ya go d
Bert
215 Posts
ATM TNC
Ignore User
heres the story here from the glaswegian front page!!!

Council anger at website which praises graffiti
Rub it out !
Council bosses are worried that Glasgow will become a tourist attraction for graffiti artists.
The fear is sparked by websites showing pictures of spray painted buildings in the city.
And the sites which ask for comments on the graffiti have been slammed by the deputy leader of Glasgow city council, councilor James Coleman. He believes they will encourage graffiti artists to flock to Glasgow from Europe.
Councilor Coleman said: “the council has involved the police but there’s nothing they can do because the websites are legal.
“So far Glasgow doesn’t have anything like the problems experienced in the continent but the council will continue to monitor the websites.
“at the moment we are spending we are spending £50, 000 year on removing graffiti and these websites don’t help.
“just take a walk around George street or other city centre roads and you’ll see the graffiti on the red sand stone buildings.
“having spoken to my counterparts in Europe, the feedback suggests it’s a mistake to give graffiti a cloak of respectability by designating areas for graffiti – you’ll find that vandalism explodes.
“Therefore our strategy is to catch the so-called artist in the act.”
Duncan Cumming is a photographer based in glasgow whose pictures on graffiti can be seen on his website.
Other photographs show burnt-out cars in Glasgow as well as a library of buildings covered in graffiti from the Spanish city of Seville, and links to other sites covering Glasgow.
When contacted by the Glaswegian, Mr. Cumming refused to comment.
Despite being unable to do anything about the websites, councilor Coleman believes the council is tackling the problem in other ways. He added: “ we are catching up with 15 years of neglecting the removal of graffiti from out buildings.
“we have only really started to address the problem within the last two years – once we launched the clean Glasgow.
“previously the council concentrated on racist spray painting but now we have a team going out five days a week and the graffiti is gradually disappearing”
the councilor also revealed that a joint operation between the police and the council is underway to crack down on city centre graffiti artists.
And this could mean the writing is finally on the wall for “one or two known individuals being targeted.
  22 Nov 03 09:06 AM | Edit Reply | lol
JiMbOb
340 Posts
glasgow
Ignore User
haha crimewatch and graff it was a joke, even if they offer 500 pound for naming someones tag what good is that they have no proof
  22 Nov 03 01:15 PM | Edit Reply | RE: a
duncan
731 Posts
Glasgow
Ignore User
wow. that's some article. i have to get a hold of a copy of this myself.

Council bosses are worried that Glasgow will become a tourist attraction for graffiti artists.

Unlikely. Of all the places I've been, I wouldn't rate Glasgow highly as a graffiti tourist attraction. Nothing wrong with it, but almost every other major European city I've been to has had more graffiti, more legal walls, more illegal graf, more stencils, higher quality etc. Why come to Glasgow when you could go to London, Paris, Amsterdam or Barcelona?

Councilor Coleman said: �the council has involved the police but there�s nothing they can do because the websites are legal.

don't Glasgow City Council have better things to do with their time and money than waste it in things like this?

Duncan Cumming is a photographer based in glasgow whose pictures on graffiti can be seen on his website.
Other photographs show burnt-out cars in Glasgow as well as a library of buildings covered in graffiti from the Spanish city of Seville, and links to other sites covering Glasgow.
When contacted by the Glaswegian, Mr. Cumming refused to comment.

well at least they've looked at the website before writing the article. I was NEVER contacted by the Glaswegian. I did have a reporter from the Daily Record get in touch, who are owned by the same publishers. Most likely this article wasn't considered important enough for the Record, so was demoted to the freesheet.
  22 Nov 03 01:18 PM | Edit Reply | RE: a
duncan
731 Posts
Glasgow
Ignore User
Posted by Koin:heres the story here from the glaswegian front page!!!

can someone perhaps scan in the articles from the Glaswegian and the Evening Times and email them to me, as I might not be able to get a hold of copies myself.
  22 Nov 03 04:25 PM | Edit Reply | `
KingGhidra
578 Posts
...Three
Ignore User
i think u can just go into ure local newsagent and ask them to get a copy from the publishers or whatever
alternatively, you could contact the paper themselves, i'm sure they'd have back isses esspecialy if its only from a day or two ago
  23 Nov 03 12:00 AM | Edit Reply | ahahahaha
deposit
65 Posts

Ignore User
crime watch was a joke the other nite.

that article is highly amusing, shit about glasgow being a tourist attraction for writers especialy from my point of veiw.....being here from another country and shit.

glasgow and scotland need more graff fullstop and the papers dont know that publishing things like that just get more ppl into it, however wack they are....its still shit getting paited and thats wot its all about...

so get out there kids and start paintin.
  23 Nov 03 04:14 AM | Edit Reply | oiio
blam
125 Posts

Ignore User
knock shit out of the town boys, fuck the polis and the council keep doing what ur doing . Big up Duncan. Fuck the rest[Edited by blam on 23 Nov 03 04:16 AM]
  23 Nov 03 04:43 PM | Edit Reply | crimewatch
cesk
34 Posts
Glasgow
Ignore User
they actually showed you amateur footage of banksy putting up his painting in the tate gallery...it was hilarious.
however, i think the new scheme is something that aint to be sniffed at....basically, theyre offering £500 to anyone with information towards catching writers...
just think...youre mates could dob you in for £500!
if someone gives your name away, then surely if the cops come to your house and find evidence of your crime...eg. sketches, paint, caps, etc. youre fucked.

they got this fantasy that theyre keepin me down, yet my name still pops up all over the town...
  23 Nov 03 05:30 PM | Edit Reply | the way they work
shiri
8 Posts
London
Ignore User
I'm doing some work with young people in london and all they want to do is proper graffiti! anyway as I had to fight the local authority to let the kids do their stuff i found that piece of study on the net. amazing to see how easy it is to prove that 'cleaning' graffiti is an impossible and stuid mission and on the other hand what happens when you let people do it properly.
here's the link: http://www.graffiti.nsw.gov.au/cpd/graffiti.nsf/pages/myrckabc
by the way, since i've done the first project with kids down here, people keep asking me to do more. i think i managed to get camden to change their mind![Edited by shiri on 23 Nov 03 05:31 PM][Edited by shiri on 23 Nov 03 05:32 PM]
  23 Nov 03 06:49 PM | Edit Reply | RE: the way they work
duncan
731 Posts
Glasgow
Ignore User
http://www.graffiti.nsw.gov.au/cpd/graffiti.nsf/pages/myrckabc

that's a good link. if only all local councils took the same common-sense view.
  23 Nov 03 11:19 PM | Edit Reply | RE: kool
Bert
215 Posts
ATM TNC
Ignore User
Posted by duncan:actually, I wonder if this article was connected to this request for an interview I got from the Daily Record recently? The Record and the Glaswegian are published by the same company. I assume the Evening Times article was the SMG's version of this 'story'.

http://www.duncancumming.co.uk/forum/message.cfm?MID=4099

If anyone can get me copies of the Glaswegian, Evening Times or any other newspaper that mentions my site, that would be cool.

i have the glaswegian one if u want it.. but not sure if it will be much use to ya.. like scanned into the pc..
i dont even know if i will have the actual paper. but tell me and i will post it up..
u can buy back issues from the evening times site.. im sure..
koin
  24 Nov 03 12:30 PM | Edit Reply | RE: kool
duncan
731 Posts
Glasgow
Ignore User
Posted by Koin:
i have the glaswegian one if u want it.. but not sure if it will be much use to ya.. like scanned into the pc..
i dont even know if i will have the actual paper. but tell me and i will post it up..
koin

i got a hold of the Glaswegian, and I'll get myself a backissue of the Times too.
  24 Nov 03 09:45 PM | Edit Reply | yo shiri
dumbasszane
271 Posts

Ignore User
Shiri, where in camden are you based? like where was your project??
  24 Nov 03 10:45 PM | Edit Reply | RE: kool
Bert
215 Posts
ATM TNC
Ignore User
Posted by duncan:
Posted by Koin:
koin

i got a hold of the Glaswegian, and I'll get myself a backissue of the Times too.

ok kool.. do u keep all the articles in the paper that involve ur site into it?? or just all glasgow graffiti articles??
  25 Nov 03 01:04 PM | Edit Reply | RE: kool
duncan
731 Posts
Glasgow
Ignore User
ok kool.. do u keep all the articles in the paper that involve ur site into it?? or just all glasgow graffiti articles??

mostly just the one's about my site (total of 3 so far and counting). i don't tend to read the papers that often, so i usually miss whatever's in them about graffiti.
  25 Nov 03 06:58 PM | Edit Reply | RE: kool
Bert
215 Posts
ATM TNC
Ignore User
Posted by duncan:

mostly just the one's about my site (total of 3 so far and counting). i don't tend to read the papers that often, so i usually miss whatever's in them about graffiti.

i think ive seen all 3, the one from the herald, the times, and the glaswegian.. there will be more to come u can well tell.. i always miss the stuff on TV, its quite a bitch, when ya miss the gd stuff.
koin
  10 Dec 03 06:10 PM | Edit Reply | RE: yo shiri
shiri
8 Posts
London
Ignore User
Posted by dumbasszane:Shiri, where in camden are you based? like where was your project??

i have worked on the Ingestre Road estate with some young people and organized a piece with the help of an artist from Zap. will peobably be doing another project at the beginning of the year around Kentish Town.
  11 Dec 03 10:31 PM | Edit Reply | shiri
dumbasszane
271 Posts

Ignore User
i know the ingestre road near acland burghley school, tufnell park. do you write?
  13 Dec 03 11:36 PM | Edit Reply | RE: shiri
shiri
8 Posts
London
Ignore User
Posted by dumbasszane:i know the ingestre road near acland burghley school, tufnell park. do you write?

i don't write myself (though have tried and it's well fun) but i work with young people and as i said loads of them are into graffiti and would like to learn how to do it properly. I probably have another project coming soon on another estate in kentish town (not sure) and actually thought about organizing a pan-london group of young people who are into graffiti to do some workshops, activities etc and get the suits realize that that what people are really into.
any suggestions? know anyone that will be interested? best from camden but can be from all over london as i am quite well networked all over the place .
  14 Dec 03 11:17 AM | Edit Reply | RE: shiri
duncan
731 Posts
Glasgow
Ignore User
Posted by shiri:
Posted by dumbasszane:i know the ingestre road near acland burghley school, tufnell park. do you write?

i don't write myself (though have tried and it's well fun) but i work with young people and as i said loads of them are into graffiti and would like to learn how to do it properly. I probably have another project coming soon on another estate in kentish town (not sure) and actually thought about organizing a pan-london group of young people who are into graffiti to do some workshops, activities etc and get the suits realize that that what people are really into.
any suggestions? know anyone that will be interested? best from camden but can be from all over london as i am quite well networked all over the place .

shiri, email me the details and i can forward them onto some people who do this kind of stuff.
  14 Dec 03 02:07 PM | Edit Reply | street art for young pople in london
shiri
8 Posts
London
Ignore User
sure. my email is: shiri@riseup.net and everybody who is interested in helping setting up a group for young people who are into graffiti and street art in general is very welcome to email me with suggestions, tips etc and also to take part. girls are especially welcome.
I can't tell what exactely is going to happen next because i need to see how much cooperation i can get from other organizations but i think there are good chances we could get something going as i had really good responses for my other project and my bosses wanted to appoint me as a graffiti expert (haha) and a consultant to youth projects in london so let's see.....
  16 Dec 03 07:06 PM | Edit Reply | RE: crimwatch uk
duncan
731 Posts
Glasgow
Ignore User
Posted by duncan:"Also, on Crimewatch this month, a new Home Office initiative to catch graffiti vandals. Can you identify the graffiti 'tags' and help police find just some of the people who cause 1.5 billion pounds worth of damage to public property every year?"

http://tinyurl.com/vvp0[Edited by duncan on 20 Nov 03 08:30 PM]

https://tube.tfl.gov.uk/content/metro/03/0311/25/image2_large.jpg

If anyone's got a better copy of this image, post it here...
  21 Dec 03 11:36 AM | Edit Reply | RE: crimwatch uk
duncan
731 Posts
Glasgow
Ignore User
check this photo, it's classic:

http://www.headstrong.co.uk/toast/toast.asp?action=posts&sub=show&fid=3&tid=283
Post New Message in Thread   [Lock  Move  Delete  Archive]

duncancumming.co.uk | Forum | Contact Me | 1 forum user online: + 1 guest