[ View Forums | Start New Thread | Search ]     [ Join | Login ]     en
Graffiti: Trains vs Abandoned Buildings ( [Expand] [RevSort] )
Post New Message in Thread   [Lock  Move  Delete  Archive]
  03 Feb 10 01:03 AM | Edit Reply | Trains vs Abandoned Buildings
student
54 Posts
Aberdeen
Ignore User
I’m actually a student in my final year at university in Aberdeen (Scotland) doing research for my dissertation. Why do I want to write about graffiti? About a year and a half ago, I had just arrived in Poland for the beginning of a six month exchange in the city of Wroclaw. When I arrived I was struck by the amount of graff that there was and it wasn’t till I got home six months later that I realised why, because in Aberdeen, where I’ve lived all my life there’s hardly any that’s instantly visible. Basically I want to explore what’s going on with that.

To comply with my university’s ethical standards I need for anyone who wants to take part in my project to be able to make an informed decision on whether or not they want to participate. Normally, for an experiment we need written forms but because this is a forum I’d take the fact that you’re actually talking to me as sign of your decision.

I obviously have no power to force you to take part but if you do take part you also have the right to withdraw and to ask me to destroy any information that you’ve provided me with.

If you have any questions about what I'm doing I’ll do my best to answer them.

(sorry if this seems a bit repetitive, just means that anyone posting here knows exactly who I am and what I'm up to even if they didn't see my other threads).

To get to the point...

What are your personal preferences? Would you rather write on trains? Or abandoned buildings? Or somewhere else entirely? Why?
  03 Feb 10 01:19 AM | Edit Reply | RE: Trains vs Abandoned Buildings
misterwobble
429 Posts
ibrox
Ignore User
fuck off.
  03 Feb 10 01:24 AM | Edit Reply | Trains vs Abandoned Buildings
Gunghoe
1536 Posts

Ignore User
I think writers see trains as thee place to paint graffiti.

Unfortunately BTP know this, and they absolutely hammer you if you get caught. Writing on trains is pretty much the only way to get yourself thrown in prison for graffiti (maybe loads of tracksides? probably not), even if you did an absurd amount of street bombing you'd need to be unlucky.

So, in an ideal world, we'd all be out painting pieces on trains, but it's just too risky for most people.

That's why people choose abandonned buildings- you're unlikely to get caught, and if you do you won't see the dock.

If you offered me the choice between a day in some empty shell of a building or a night in the yards, I'd take the safer option. But if you could take potential consequences out of the equation, I'd have wholecars all over the place.

Alas, you can't do that.
[Edited by Gunghoe on 03 Feb 10 01:25 AM]
  03 Feb 10 01:30 AM | Edit Reply | RE: Trains vs Abandoned Buildings
panda
524 Posts

Ignore User
graffiti started on trains, because they offer the most coverage, your name will move through more places and thus more people will know who you are.

nowadays theres alot of respect attached to painting trains me thinks, and i suppose its a buzz because it so forbidden, its probs the biggest fuck you to the system due to the high security surrounding the yards and such.
  03 Feb 10 01:36 AM | Edit Reply | RE: Trains vs Abandoned Buildings
misterwobble
429 Posts
ibrox
Ignore User
i still say fuck off
  03 Feb 10 01:45 AM | Edit Reply | RE: Trains vs Abandoned Buildings
Gunghoe
1536 Posts

Ignore User
Vote with your feet then.
  03 Feb 10 01:47 AM | Edit Reply | RE: Trains vs Abandoned Buildings
misterwobble
429 Posts
ibrox
Ignore User
fuck off
  03 Feb 10 03:00 AM | Edit Reply | RE: Trains vs Abandoned Buildings
BUNDEMOUT
1274 Posts

Ignore User
Gunghoe wrote:
I think writers see trains as thee place to paint graffiti.

Unfortunately BTP know this, and they absolutely hammer you if you get caught. Writing on trains is pretty much the only way to get yourself thrown in prison for graffiti (maybe loads of tracksides? probably not), even if you did an absurd amount of street bombing you'd need to be unlucky.

So, in an ideal world, we'd all be out painting pieces on trains, but it's just too risky for most people.

That's why people choose abandonned buildings- you're unlikely to get caught, and if you do you won't see the dock.

If you offered me the choice between a day in some empty shell of a building or a night in the yards, I'd take the safer option. But if you could take potential consequences out of the equation, I'd have wholecars all over the place.

Alas, you can't do that.
[Edited by Gunghoe on 03 Feb 10 01:25 AM]

you know fuck all about trains. thank you
  03 Feb 10 04:34 AM | Edit Reply | Trains vs Abandoned Buildings
Gunghoe
1536 Posts

Ignore User
What a stupid thing to say.

I openly admit that I don't paint trains. That was the whole point of my post- people choose chill spots because it's less risky.

Do I actaully need to start painting trains before I can tell you why I don't paint trains?

I've never been run over by a bus either, but I could still tell you why I choose avoid the experience.

See, people who can think don't need to actaully experience things before they decide whether they want to or not. The ability to anticipate previously unencountered scenarios is one of the things that separates us from the animals.

I respect those who hit steel, but I choose to know fuck all about it, I'm blissfully ignorant.

But I know everything about the choices I make, and that's all I was writing about.
[Edited by Gunghoe on 03 Feb 10 04:35 AM]
  03 Feb 10 05:56 AM | Edit Reply | RE: Trains vs Abandoned Buildings
substance
18 Posts

Ignore User
Gunghoe wrote:

I openly admit that I don't paint trains. That was the whole point of my post- people choose chill spots because it's less risky.

Do I actaully need to start painting trains before I can tell you why I don't paint trains?

I've never been run over by a bus either, but I could still tell you why I choose avoid the experience.

See, people who can think don't need to actaully experience things before they decide whether they want to or not. The ability to anticipate previously unencountered scenarios is one of the things that separates us from the animals.

I respect those who hit steel, but I choose to know fuck all about it, I'm blissfully ignorant.

But I know everything about the choices I make, and that's all I was writing about.

you know fuck all about anything. stop trying to speak for everyone you stupid cunt. fuck you.
  03 Feb 10 09:35 AM | Edit Reply | RE: Trains vs Abandoned Buildings
panda
524 Posts

Ignore User
aha i make stickers ?
  03 Feb 10 02:53 PM | Edit Reply | RE: Trains vs Abandoned Buildings
misterwobble
429 Posts
ibrox
Ignore User
substance wrote:
Gunghoe wrote:

you know fuck all about anything. stop trying to speak for everyone you stupid cunt. fuck you.

yuss, i love it when gunghoe gets told
  03 Feb 10 02:56 PM | Edit Reply | Trains vs Abandoned Buildings
Gunghoe
1536 Posts

Ignore User
Yeah, all those "fuck you u fink your kewl but ur gaye" comments have really put me in my place.
[Edited by Gunghoe on 03 Feb 10 02:57 PM]
  03 Feb 10 03:00 PM | Edit Reply | RE: Trains vs Abandoned Buildings
misterwobble
429 Posts
ibrox
Ignore User
Gunghoe wrote:
Yeah, all those "fuck you u fink your kewl but ur gaye" comments have really put me in my place.
[Edited by Gunghoe on 03 Feb 10 02:57 PM]

that was a pretty gay thing to say like...
  03 Feb 10 03:12 PM | Edit Reply | RE: Trains vs Abandoned Buildings
aesop
330 Posts
glasgow
Ignore User
cunts gotta stop hatin people talkn sence, also, student, gunghoes pretty much wrtin your disetration for you, you should try do something for yourself
  03 Feb 10 03:29 PM | Edit Reply | RE: Trains vs Abandoned Buildings
panda
524 Posts

Ignore User
exactly what a wis tryin ti get at wae the i make stickers comment.

av never painted a train in ma life but for some reason am no gettin slated here ?
  03 Feb 10 03:55 PM | Edit Reply | RE: Trains vs Abandoned Buildings
SaxonHype
531 Posts

Ignore User
Please stop trying to bring Urbexers or what the fuck you call them into your questions btw. Abandonded buildings ftw. Fuck trains x
  03 Feb 10 04:09 PM | Edit Reply | RE: Trains vs Abandoned Buildings
misterwobble
429 Posts
ibrox
Ignore User
Iiight wrote:
Please stop trying to bring Urbexers or what the fuck you call them into your questions btw. Abandonded buildings ftw. Fuck trains x

pussy
  03 Feb 10 05:05 PM | Edit Reply | RE: Trains vs Abandoned Buildings
Gunghoe
1536 Posts

Ignore User
Panda

I think the fact that I insist on going into so much detail all the time gets on peoples' nerves.

You got away with it because you don't have a reputaition for over-elaborating.

I do come across as a know-it-all, but it's deliberate. I'm quite happy for the "fuck you" brigade to take their petty wee potshots, the fact they feel the need to is quite satisfying.

This persona generates discussion. And for some unfathomable reason, many people on this forum hate that.

I'm happy for people to disagree with what I say, but these guys don't even do that. They just object to anyone bothering their arse to write more than 2 scentences.

Your contribution to this forum is a positive one. Don't worry, they'll be sharpening those pitchforks soon enough.
  03 Feb 10 05:23 PM | Edit Reply | RE: Trains vs Abandoned Buildings
KingGhidra
1340 Posts
...Three
Ignore User
If you replace the concept of being a know-it-all with graffiti, then gunghoe's post pretty much sums up graffiti for me.

DC is his form of getting up.
  03 Feb 10 05:30 PM | Edit Reply | RE: Trains vs Abandoned Buildings
Gunghoe
1536 Posts

Ignore User
You're quite cutting KingGhidra. I admire your succinctness.
  03 Feb 10 05:35 PM | Edit Reply | RE: Trains vs Abandoned Buildings
student
54 Posts
Aberdeen
Ignore User
substance wrote:
Gunghoe wrote:

Then how about you speak for yourself?
  03 Feb 10 05:37 PM | Edit Reply | RE: Trains vs Abandoned Buildings
student
54 Posts
Aberdeen
Ignore User
thisman wrote:
cunts gotta stop hatin people talkn sence, also, student, gunghoes pretty much wrtin your disetration for you, you should try do something for yourself

I seem to remember defending myself against this accusation before, I am doing stuff for myself as we speak but thats pretty much behind the scenes right now and will only be apparent if you read my dissertation after its written...
  03 Feb 10 05:39 PM | Edit Reply | RE: Trains vs Abandoned Buildings
student
54 Posts
Aberdeen
Ignore User
Thanks for the positive contributions, and even the negative ones :D
  03 Feb 10 07:02 PM | Edit Reply | RE: Trains vs Abandoned Buildings
ErwinSchrodinger
542 Posts
edinburgh
Ignore User
Gunghoe wrote:
Panda
the fact they feel the need to is quite satisfying.

And for some unfathomable reason, many people on this forum hate that.

Is it really satisfying?

And the reasons arent unfathmable, unless you were being sarcastic that is...

Im not trying to start an arguement, just reinterpreting what think you where saying.
  03 Feb 10 07:03 PM | Edit Reply | RE: Trains vs Abandoned Buildings
SaxonHype
531 Posts

Ignore User
LauraMacaskill wrote:
Iiight wrote:

pussy

More laziness tbh :)
  03 Feb 10 07:03 PM | Edit Reply | RE: Trains vs Abandoned Buildings
ErwinSchrodinger
542 Posts
edinburgh
Ignore User
Iiight wrote:
Please stop trying to bring Urbexers or what the fuck you call them into your questions btw.

Abandonded buildings ftw. Fuck trains x

Why?

and then why again?

Just curious lol.
  03 Feb 10 07:23 PM | Edit Reply | RE: Trains vs Abandoned Buildings
beer
247 Posts
GLASGOW
Ignore User
thisman wrote:

ano fs ave seen u postin on streetfile aswell man
gt a copy of subway art
thats all u need dude
  03 Feb 10 07:43 PM | Edit Reply | RE: Trains vs Abandoned Buildings
student
54 Posts
Aberdeen
Ignore User
haha, i actually already have subway art but thanks for the suggestion
  03 Feb 10 07:52 PM | Edit Reply | RE: Trains vs Abandoned Buildings
SaxonHype
531 Posts

Ignore User
anonymouss wrote:
Iiight wrote:
Please stop trying to bring Urbexers or what the fuck you call them into your questions btw.

Abandonded buildings ftw. Fuck trains x

Why?

and then why again?

Just curious lol.

1.Why Not?
2.'Urbexers' is the gayest name for anything i've ever heard
Tres. Thats three in Spanish
4.I don't see myself ever painting on trains, but i do love the work on the

x
Post New Message in Thread   [Lock  Move  Delete  Archive]
Pages: 1 2 »  
duncancumming.co.uk | Forum | Contact Me | 1 forum user online: + 1 guest