[ View Forums | Start New Thread | Search ]     [ Join | Login ]     en
Graffiti: Expressing yourself? ( [Expand] [RevSort] )
Post New Message in Thread   [Lock  Move  Delete  Archive]
  30 Oct 09 03:29 AM | Edit Reply | Expressing yourself?
Gunghoe
1536 Posts

avatar
Ignore User
People often talk about the desire to express something through their art.

Without getting into the semantics of whether graffiti is art, do you express yourself through graffiti?

Sure, graffiti allows you to be creative, but it rarely allows you to display any abstract ideas.

You might be writing regularly, but are you saying anything?
  30 Oct 09 05:41 PM | Edit Reply | RE: Expressing yourself?
keps
18 Posts
Glasgow
Ignore User
When you consider that in general, graffiti is about 1 name which you choose for yourself I would say that other than the name itself, you are not expressing anything other than a will/need to write on things (which can can be argued reveals a certain amount about what sort of person you are)
  30 Oct 09 06:24 PM | Edit Reply | RE: Expressing yourself?
Sleep
82 Posts

avatar
Ignore User
I don't think it's as simple as that. It's not just a name it's also your own style, aesthetic etc. Not for every writer per se but some certainly use that to express different things.
  30 Oct 09 11:39 PM | Edit Reply | Expressing yourself?
yoshi
147 Posts

avatar
Ignore User
i like to say i do, im a guy who hides his feelings and thoughts,but when im writing its liek all these emotions come out. and nothing seams too bad,i sound like a fag but fuckit.

you pick your name,and your style,and where to place the thing your painting.its all bout you.
edited my pedo pants
[Edited by pedopants on 02 Nov 09 04:54 PM]
  03 Nov 09 03:44 PM | Edit Reply | RE: Expressing yourself?
panda
524 Posts

avatar
Ignore User
are you meaning like passing comment on society or politics ?

dont think anyone really does that in scotland.
  03 Nov 09 04:58 PM | Edit Reply | RE: Expressing yourself?
Gunghoe
1536 Posts

avatar
Ignore User
Not necessarily social commentary, just representing yourself as a person- how you feel and your ideas.

I could be that you love death metal so you reference it in your graff, or that you’re a happy person, so your graff looks light-hearted. Anything really.
  03 Nov 09 07:49 PM | Edit Reply | RE: Expressing yourself?
MACB
811 Posts

Ignore User
Gunghoe wrote:
Not necessarily social commentary, just representing yourself as a person- how you feel and your ideas.

I could be that you love death metal so you reference it in your graff, or that you’re a happy person, so your graff looks light-hearted. Anything really.


uibes graff makes me happy:$
  04 Nov 09 01:34 PM | Edit Reply | RE: Expressing yourself?
panda
524 Posts

avatar
Ignore User
Gunghoe wrote:
Not necessarily social commentary, just representing yourself as a person- how you feel and your ideas.

I could be that you love death metal so you reference it in your graff, or that you’re a happy person, so your graff looks light-hearted. Anything really.




klkl dnno if that really happens much, but maybe it does and cads just dont realise it cos they dont know the thought process behind things.

ad love ti know what people thought the meaning was behind some of ma stickers .... which ther is ofcourse :|
  04 Nov 09 08:41 PM | Edit Reply | RE: Expressing yourself?
hideandseek
14 Posts
glasgow
Ignore User
i'd say drugs for ur stickers mate!

the one writer in scotland i'd say that views come accross in his graf would be rogue...
  04 Nov 09 08:42 PM | Edit Reply | RE: Expressing yourself?
MagnumPI
145 Posts

Ignore User
What are the views that come across in Rogue's work?
  05 Nov 09 09:11 AM | Edit Reply | RE: Expressing yourself?
LoLoLoLoLoL
67 Posts

Ignore User
Pandas right, no one does that here because no ones got that much to moan about. Different if u lived in brazil or something where graff and activism go hand in hand.
  05 Nov 09 03:14 PM | Edit Reply | RE: Expressing yourself?
Stimpy
504 Posts
The Shire
avatar
Ignore User
aside from the captions beside my pieces or whatever there's no real message for me other than "i was here"
  05 Nov 09 05:13 PM | Edit Reply | RE: Expressing yourself?
Sphynx
382 Posts
GraffCanIstan
avatar
Ignore User
LoLoLoLoLoL wrote:
Pandas right, no one does that here because no ones got that much to moan about. Different if u lived in brazil or something where graff and activism go hand in hand.


There's plenty here to moan about. Just most people can't be arsed..
  09 Nov 09 09:30 AM | Edit Reply | RE: Expressing yourself?
panda
524 Posts

avatar
Ignore User
aye cunts are too lazy and everyones too caught up in consuming and gettin brainwashed by the media ti make a stand against sumfin
  09 Nov 09 10:55 AM | Edit Reply | RE: Expressing yourself?
CATZMCKENZIE
103 Posts
YOUR KITCHEN FLOOR.
avatar
Ignore User
thats quite the cliché panda.
  09 Nov 09 11:53 AM | Edit Reply | RE: Expressing yourself?
panda
524 Posts

avatar
Ignore User
haha hevvy, think thers some truth to it but, more cunts vote on the x factor than for the government
  09 Nov 09 12:36 PM | Edit Reply | RE: Expressing yourself?
LAZyCUNT
432 Posts

avatar
Ignore User
panda wrote:
haha hevvy, think thers some truth to it but, more cunts vote on the x factor than for the government


Word.
  10 Nov 09 12:59 AM | Edit Reply | RE: Expressing yourself?
LoLoLoLoLoL
67 Posts

Ignore User
Sphynx wrote:
LoLoLoLoLoL wrote:
Pandas right, no one does that here because no ones got that much to moan about. Different if u lived in brazil or something where graff and activism go hand in hand.


There's plenty here to moan about. Just most people can't be arsed..


Give me an example?
  10 Nov 09 08:47 AM | Edit Reply | RE: Expressing yourself?
panda
524 Posts

avatar
Ignore User
LoLoLoLoLoL wrote:
Sphynx wrote:
LoLoLoLoLoL wrote:
Pandas right, no one does that here because no ones got that much to moan about. Different if u lived in brazil or something where graff and activism go hand in hand.


There's plenty here to moan about. Just most people can't be arsed..


Give me an example?




cunts cood say somethin about the scientist that got fired for speakin the truth about drugs


or that gary mckinnon cad that hacked intae americas computers ti find aliens and is gnna end up in a jailbait american prison
  10 Nov 09 10:18 AM | Edit Reply | RE: Expressing yourself?
Gunghoe
1536 Posts

avatar
Ignore User
Can't believe that someone actually needed an example of something to complain about, he must be on prozac.

Panda's right, there will always be issues worth raising.
  10 Nov 09 11:46 AM | Edit Reply | RE: Expressing yourself?
Sleep
82 Posts

avatar
Ignore User
Even the act of writing on a wall where you shouldn't legally do so is on a basic level an expression against many things. Grafitti itself is in some ways a political anti-establishment act, a democratic reclaiming of streets for the people who live on them blah blah. It's inherent.
  10 Nov 09 03:25 PM | Edit Reply | RE: Expressing yourself?
Sphynx
382 Posts
GraffCanIstan
avatar
Ignore User
LoLoLoLoLoL wrote:

Give me an example?


Our human rights being taken away from us.
People being beaten and arrested for peaceful protests.
Being spied on by the government.
Them being able to accuse people of being terrorists for speaking their mind.

Anything else?
  10 Nov 09 03:59 PM | Edit Reply | RE: Expressing yourself?
username
541 Posts

avatar
Ignore User
Sleep wrote:
Even the act of writing on a wall where you shouldn't legally do so is on a basic level an expression against many things. Grafitti itself is in some ways a political anti-establishment act, a democratic reclaiming of streets for the people who live on them blah blah. It's inherent.


true dat
  10 Nov 09 06:24 PM | Edit Reply | RE: Expressing yourself?
ErwinSchrodinger
542 Posts
edinburgh
avatar
Ignore User
Sphynx wrote:
LoLoLoLoLoL wrote:

Give me an example?


Our human rights being taken away from us.
People being beaten and arrested for peaceful protests.
Being spied on by the government.
Them being able to accuse people of being terrorists for speaking their mind.

Anything else?


yes, much, much more.
  12 Nov 09 03:24 PM | Edit Reply | RE: Expressing yourself?
SpecialBranch
577 Posts

Ignore User
Sphynx wrote:
LoLoLoLoLoL wrote:

Give me an example?


Our human rights being taken away from us.
People being beaten and arrested for peaceful protests.
Being spied on by the government.
Them being able to accuse people of being terrorists for speaking their mind.

Anything else?


Truth. Also what panda said ^ is truth. I could go on about those kind of subjects for hours but cant really be bothered. Anyhow, more people should protest, even if they're not particularly interested in the subject. Im getting into it recently (should have ages ago) and pretty much protesting to exercise my right to do so. There are things i feel very strongly about but don't really know how to find info or act upon these feelings because it's forced well underground by the powers that be. Fuck police state, fuck surveillance, fuck cctv, fuck police (cliche, but i know how it all works).
  13 Nov 09 02:12 AM | Edit Reply | RE: Expressing yourself?
KingGhidra
Moderator
1340 Posts
...Three
Ignore User
AREA DENIAL



  13 Nov 09 09:15 AM | Edit Reply | RE: Expressing yourself?
OHKS
620 Posts

avatar
Ignore User
smash nato today in edinburgh!!!come and show support(maybe have a wee riot) will post meeting place soon
  13 Nov 09 07:24 PM | Edit Reply | RE: Expressing yourself?
Sphynx
382 Posts
GraffCanIstan
avatar
Ignore User
Isn't there more protests tomorrow or summin?
Post New Message in Thread   [Lock  Move  Delete  Archive]
 
duncancumming.co.uk | Forum | Contact Me | 1 forum user online: + 1 guest