[ View Forums | Start New Thread | Search ]     [ Join | Login ]     en
Messages Posted on 03 Jan 10 [ Previous | Next ]
Pictures: The Ghostvillage Project
  03 Jan 10 11:01 PM | Edit Reply | RE: The Ghostvillage Project
ErwinSchrodinger
542 Posts
edinburgh
Ignore User
Yeah plus I think this project gives a positive presentation of graff that is pretty important, theres nothing wrong with bombing or tagging imo. But I don't like the idea of graff just being a crime.

03 Jan 10 10:33 PM | Edit Reply | RE: The Ghostvillage Project
panda
524 Posts

Ignore User
this shit looks quality.

some chernobyl type shit

03 Jan 10 10:30 PM | Edit Reply | The Ghostvillage Project
ErwinSchrodinger
542 Posts
edinburgh
Ignore User

Chored aff' Scottish Graffiti, you could do a fair bit of "urbexing" here, looks like a cool spot.

Graffiti: Urbex?
  03 Jan 10 10:13 PM | Edit Reply | RE: Urbex?
Gunghoe
1536 Posts

Ignore User
I've done some "urbexing" myself. To be honest though, it's always with a veiw to finding somewhere to paint.

But there are some amazing places to walk around in Glasgow if you're prepared to go underground or break a window or two.

Graffiti: Aberdeen/Scotland Graffiti
  03 Jan 10 09:52 PM | Edit Reply | RE: Aberdeen/Scotland Graffiti
student
54 Posts
Aberdeen
Ignore User
Thanks for that, I had actually kind of considered the isolation aspect, Aberdeen does seem to be thought of being a bit odd and not quite like the rest of Scotland. Apparently we get used as a test market for various random products for that very reason.

Maybe the reason that we seem sooooooooooo far removed is that compared to the distance between the other cities, Edinburgh and Glasgow particularly we really are miles away from anything...

03 Jan 10 09:29 PM | Edit Reply | RE: Aberdeen/Scotland Graffiti
Sleep
82 Posts

Ignore User
The answer at the root of that question doesn't have much to do with graff at all. The problem with aberdeen is that it's far too provincial. Not to say urban culture doesn't exist in the city; it certainly certainly does, rather that it's exposure to the rest of the country and to locals is drastically lower than the rest of Scotland. Considering it's population size and perhaps exaggerated perceived distance from the rest of Scotland the city doesn't garner as much ebb and flow of culture especially modern, "underground," urban or whatever term you want to use, than the Rest of Scotland.

This isolation is evident in everyting from hip hop and rap to the rock/clubbing scene. To engage with these things on a quality level even nowadays you have to dig far deeper than in the likes of Edinburgh or Glasgow. Yet again, not in the least to say they don't exist up there rather it's far less popular.

A pretty good example of this has been the rise of dubstep, which is arguably a pretty strong example of development in modern uk music. People I know who live in Aberdeen and even those who would consider themselves reasonable up o date and cool, have themselves only very recently started to become aware/interested in this genre which has been going about for years in the rest of the U.K. Not to say plenty of people won't be more than aware of dub from early early days up there, just that "Joe Bloggs" is pretty oblivious to it. He won't hear it in the big clubs, he won't hear it (to an extreme degree) on radio and thus is relatively unaware of it.

Bit lengthy but there you go.

03 Jan 10 09:14 PM | Edit Reply | RE: Aberdeen/Scotland Graffiti
student
54 Posts
Aberdeen
Ignore User
Its for sociology, like my degree started off mixed psychology/sociology but I ended up hating psychology, just bored me to death, haha, and no way I'd have gotten off with doing a psychology dissertation on graffiti :D

Miscellaneous: Appreciation thread
  03 Jan 10 09:08 PM | Edit Reply | RE: Appreciation thread
SaxonHype
531 Posts

Ignore User
Jesus backwards sounds like sausage. That is all.

03 Jan 10 09:04 PM | Edit Reply | RE: Aberdeen/Scotland Graffiti
Sleep
82 Posts

Ignore User
I would very much be interested to read the dissertation when it's done. What subject is it for?

03 Jan 10 09:00 PM | Edit Reply | RE: Urbex?
student
54 Posts
Aberdeen
Ignore User
On a slight aside from my main research, have any of you in your writing careers ever run into any "urban explorers"?

On the off chance that you have no idea what I'm talking about, urban explorers (or urbexers) are fine upstanding members of the community who like to indulge in a bit of breaking and entering of abandoned properties or sites, "taking nothing but photos, leaving nothing but footprints"...

I ask because in the interests of thoroughness thought I might have a chat to them too because it ties into my research in a very minor way, turns out they really don't like people asking questions, one of the kinder repsonses I got was, "FUCK OFF. There I said it in the nicest way I could. Write that in your dissertation."

Just wondered if any of you had had any experience of these fine folks...

03 Jan 10 08:54 PM | Edit Reply | Urbex?
student
54 Posts
Aberdeen
Ignore User
To comply with my university’s ethical standards I need for anyone who wants to take part in my project to be able to make an informed decision on whether or not they want to participate. Normally, for an experiment we need written forms but because this is a forum I’d take the fact that you’re actually talking to me as sign of your decision.

I’m a student in my final year at university in Aberdeen the research I carry out here will form the basis for my dissertation. Why do I want to write about graffiti? About a year and a half ago, I had just arrived in Poland for the beginning of a six month exchange in the city of Wroclaw. When I arrived I was struck by the amount of graff that there was and it wasn’t till I got home six months later that I realised why, because in Aberdeen, where I’ve lived all my life there’s hardly any that’s instantly visible. Basically I want to explore what’s going on with that.

All I ask is, for anyone who’s willing, is that you take part in discussion threads that I post. I would also really appreciate if in your first post you could provide some details about yourself, your city, age and ethnicity.

I obviously have no power to force you to take part but if you do take part you also have the right to withdraw and to ask me to destroy any information that you’ve provided me with.

I'm not looking for answers as such, I’m looking for your views and opinions, maybe even start discussions which might be mutually beneficial.

If you have any questions I’ll do my best to answer them.

(Sorry if this bit seems repetitive, just means that anyone that comments knows where they stand, even if they haven't seen my other threads)

Graffiti: Painting of the week
  03 Jan 10 08:50 PM | Edit Reply | RE: Painting of the week
panda
524 Posts

Ignore User
Arek for me

03 Jan 10 08:48 PM | Edit Reply | RE: Appreciation thread
panda
524 Posts

Ignore User
good shout borgores a monster.

starting the new year tripping on mushrooms, fookin epic.

Graffiti: War
  03 Jan 10 08:34 PM | Edit Reply | RE: War
student
54 Posts
Aberdeen
Ignore User
Shit, sorry, its been a long day, would appear I may need my eyes tested too...

03 Jan 10 08:33 PM | Edit Reply | RE: Painting of the week
Gunghoe
1536 Posts

Ignore User
It's neck and neck!

Both are very nice paintings.

Thanks for the votes guys.

03 Jan 10 08:31 PM | Edit Reply | RE: Painting of the week
yoshi
147 Posts

Ignore User
loving both but have to say keys

Miscellaneous: Dis-appreciation thread
  03 Jan 10 08:30 PM | Edit Reply | RE: Dis-appreciation thread
Gunghoe
1536 Posts

Ignore User
Unlucky charlie, Hibs have some entertaining players and are the good guys of Edinburgh, I was rooting for you today.

Obviously, though, the Old Firm game took priority for me. I had to sit in a room by myself for a few minutes afterwards though. No TV, no radio, nobody saying "that was a good game".

It felt like a bereavement.

Lee McCulloch.

Fuck Lee McCulloch.

03 Jan 10 08:30 PM | Edit Reply | RE: War
SaxonHype
531 Posts

Ignore User
student wrote:
Nah, Tiight, thanks for that, you totally answered the question and its your views and opinions that I want to hear so feel free to rant away.

Iiight.

03 Jan 10 08:26 PM | Edit Reply | War
student
54 Posts
Aberdeen
Ignore User
Nah, Iiight, thanks for that, you totally answered the question and its your views and opinions that I want to hear so feel free to rant away.
[Edited by student on 03 Jan 10 08:35 PM]

03 Jan 10 08:23 PM | Edit Reply | RE: Painting of the week
student
54 Posts
Aberdeen
Ignore User
Arek, like a few people have said the setting of the photo does make it look pretty shit hot

03 Jan 10 07:45 PM | Edit Reply | RE: Appreciation thread
SaxonHype
531 Posts

Ignore User
Goresteps Most Hated.
Borgore.
http://www.egothieves.com/2009/11/29/borgore-goresteps-most-hated/

03 Jan 10 06:54 PM | Edit Reply | RE: Dis-appreciation thread
MACB
811 Posts

Ignore User
christian nade & santana suso.

Pictures: Steel
  03 Jan 10 06:35 PM | Edit Reply | RE: Steel
JME
567 Posts
BOY BETTER KNOW
Ignore User
DrZoidberg wrote:
Woah its his photo, no one on here really gives a shit who took the photo, mostly about whats in it, give us a rest fucksake

kick yourself in the face

03 Jan 10 05:00 PM | Edit Reply | RE: Dis-appreciation thread
KingGhidra
1340 Posts
...Three
Ignore User
People stepping on your new shoes. Especially if they're mostly white.

03 Jan 10 04:52 PM | Edit Reply | RE: Painting of the week
SaxonHype
531 Posts

Ignore User
Arek

just love the glossyness of it, like the keys style alot, but the Arek seems to be shining of the surface

03 Jan 10 04:50 PM | Edit Reply | RE: Painting of the week
KingGhidra
1340 Posts
...Three
Ignore User
Keys.

I really like the arek, and the photos really nice too, but the location would be pretty dull in real life.

They keys is just too gully all round.

03 Jan 10 04:49 PM | Edit Reply | RE: Painting of the week
misterwobble
429 Posts
ibrox
Ignore User
defo keys

03 Jan 10 04:47 PM | Edit Reply | RE: Dis-appreciation thread
misterwobble
429 Posts
ibrox
Ignore User
makin a heavy mwi arse a yersel in front of a mad hot female
also, hangovers are bad

03 Jan 10 04:38 PM | Edit Reply | RE: Painting of the week
RadioRaheem
48 Posts
Glasgow
Ignore User
im gona go with the keys, its more technical than arek's and i like the setting, kinda looks like an indiana jones film set

the photo of arek's is nice tho

03 Jan 10 04:35 PM | Edit Reply | Painting of the week
ErwinSchrodinger
542 Posts
edinburgh
Ignore User
VeronicaMars wrote:

so got to pick the arek 1, more to do with the settin and the like but i guess tht comes into aswell wen yer thinkin through doin a piece.

Yeah, I think setting is really important, and that a pieces placement can refect is quality.
So Arek for me too.
Nice idea Gung, I hope it keeps going.
[Edited by anonymouss on 03 Jan 10 04:36 PM]

Pictures: edinburgh pics 3
  03 Jan 10 04:31 PM | Edit Reply | RE: edinburgh pics 3
cctvsteve
403 Posts

Ignore User
Metro wrote:
cctvsteve wrote:
anonymouss wrote:
cctvsteve wrote:
anonymouss wrote:
MrMagic wrote:
Does sine do anything other than tags?
Can't recall seeing anything else.

IM pretty sure he just does tags mate... never seen a throwie or piece of his likes.

he has a thew throwies ploted about.

dont know why i spelt few like a twat.
[Edited by cctvsteve on 01 Jan 10 09:34 PM]

Any chance you could post some pics?

Not got any son, he usually just does this big S thing theres one in the tunnel at the back of topman oppocite macdonalds. im melted sorry for ant spelling errors fingers arnt too good in cold and all that.

that S was by Snaks UGH in 2007. If you want to see some sine outlines, theres quite a few round Abbeyhill.

it has a sine tag right beside it does it not?

03 Jan 10 04:08 PM | Edit Reply | RE: Painting of the week
VeronicaMars
1258 Posts
GLA
Ignore User
i really like the keys style and colours

but the arek foto is jst a nailer. the snow and the pale sky really contrasts and brings out the colours
in the piece

so got to pick the arek 1, more to do with the settin and the like but i guess tht comes into aswell wen yer thinkin through doin a piece.

03 Jan 10 04:05 PM | Edit Reply | RE: Painting of the week
styleone
33 Posts
dundee
Ignore User
i prefer the arek personally but both are nice.

03 Jan 10 03:56 PM | Edit Reply | RE: War
SaxonHype
531 Posts

Ignore User
Law breaking is probably a consistant part of a graffiti 'artists' life. Maybe subconsciously or maybe they feel what they're doing can't be worse than their graff. Imo i hate people who have the attitude 'fuck the police', im all for a little bit of abuse in the way of laws and barriers holding up free speech etc etc but people who are naive enough to think the police are 'stupid' or 'cunts' are just idiots. The police are there for a reason, we all know that, and they should be respected, maybe not them individually, but what they stand for. Whether doing it leads to other illegal acts, it your decision, as was the decision to start writing. You knew it was illegal, and decided to do it anyway, therefore you may have that attitude to other things. Don't really know what im on about or if i answered you question, soz
Rant over x

03 Jan 10 03:19 PM | Edit Reply | Painting of the week
Sleep
82 Posts

Ignore User
Keys on this one although I do think the Arek is nice.
[Edited by Sleep on 03 Jan 10 03:19 PM]

Graffiti: Graff Websites
  03 Jan 10 09:36 AM | Edit Reply | Graff Websites
Metro
3588 Posts

Ignore User
Sphynx wrote:

http://n0-c0mment.blogspot.com/
No Comment

No Comment is the best blog around imo
few others I go on (that havnt already been posted)...

www.writersdelight.co.uk

http://blog.yimmyayo.com/archive/2009/12
(graff, heroin, naked girls)

http://kempfolds.blogspot.com/
(nothing to do with graff but still good)

http://alexanderbartsch.blogspot.com/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/23895064@N04/
(buddz909 flickr - most people will probably have been on it already)

[Edited by Metro on 03 Jan 10 09:54 AM]

03 Jan 10 09:19 AM | Edit Reply | RE: edinburgh pics 3
Metro
3588 Posts

Ignore User
cctvsteve wrote:
anonymouss wrote:
cctvsteve wrote:
anonymouss wrote:
MrMagic wrote:

IM pretty sure he just does tags mate... never seen a throwie or piece of his likes.

Not got any son, he usually just does this big S thing theres one in the tunnel at the back of topman oppocite macdonalds. im melted sorry for ant spelling errors fingers arnt too good in cold and all that.

that S was by Snaks UGH in 2007. If you want to see some sine outlines, theres quite a few round Abbeyhill.

03 Jan 10 03:07 AM | Edit Reply | Painting of the week
Gunghoe
1536 Posts

Ignore User
Here's what I'm going to do:

Every week I'm going to post pictures of 2 recent paintings by Scottish writers, and I'd like for people to vote for the one they prefer.

I'll try to post paintings that I think would have taken a similar amount of time of time and are in similar locations, like 2 trackside dubs or 2 legal productions.

Graffiti is not a competition, but I think this thread could be something worth reading, if not for the pictures themselves, for the result of the poll.

This week we have:

Arek's skatepark Chromer

VS

Keys' wobbler

Which do you prefer?

03 Jan 10 01:36 AM | Edit Reply | RE: edinburgh pics 3
cctvsteve
403 Posts

Ignore User
anonymouss wrote:
cctvsteve wrote:
anonymouss wrote:
MrMagic wrote:

duncancumming.co.uk | Forum | Contact Me | 1 forum user online: + 1 guest